Sunday 2 November 2008

This is... a favourite recipe I'd like to share

This is a new favourite recipe. Quick, easy and convenient to make, super tasty, and convenient to take to work for lunch (I get so bored by sandwiches). I was inspired by a recipe featured on taste.com.au, which is a finalist in a reader recipe competition in Good Taste magazine. The original recipe says to bake the avocado and sour cream, however I can't stand the bitterness of baked avocado, so I chose to have mine fresh at the end. Serves 6.


Vegetarian Mexican lasagne
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 2 brown onions, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin (I might have added some more cumin just because I love it so much!)
  • 1/4 pinch allspice
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 750 g tin red kidney beans, drained
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 4 pieces corn mountain bread
  • 2 avocados, mashed
  • 235g (1 cup) sour cream
  • 1-2 cups coarsely grated cheddar, depending on how cheesy you are feeling (of course you can substitute low fat dairy options if you choose)
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
  2. In a large, heavy based fry pan, heat the oil and add garlic. Fry for 30 seconds before adding the onion. Cook, stirring regularly, until the onion is soft.
  3. Add the spices, cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add beans and tomato, cook for 4-5 mins until beans are heated through.
  4. In a large ovenproof dish, layer with two of the corn bread pieces. Spoon half of the bean mixture on top. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Layer with another two pieces of corn bread, then bean mix and cheese.
  5. Place in the oven and bake for 30 mins until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
  6. Serve topped with mashed avocado and sour cream.

The original non-vegetarian mexican lasagne

Thank you three buttons for this week's theme (and for hosting This is...) because you all know just how much I love sharing my new favourite recipes!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Yum! That looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Ruth xx

Liesl said...

I was quite excited when I saw this .... I reckon Argy and Bargy will absolutely love it! It sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

Printed and will make for dinner end of week!

YUM