Friday 25 April 2008

Tokyo!

I've been in Tokyo for a week and it's just an amazing place. I am in love with Tokyo. The metro wasn't nearly as scary as it looked. However I have tried three times to find the shops recommended by floating world and asking for trouble and have failed dismally. I have explored Shibuya quite thoroughly now (awesome clothes shopping if you're short -- like me!) but could not find Marunan or Loft at all. Tokyo is indeed a crazy place and we have attempted to navigate our way to a few things now and totally failed. Roads and addresses are very confusing and it's been hard to find anywhere without a map but the best things we have found have been totally by accident.

For example: today, on the way back from Meguro Parasite Museum (sorry, yes, I'm a scientist) we stumbled across this amazing little fabric shop run by a very friendly elderly couple who still use an abacus and cash register from 1917! (Photos to come of this. They let us have a play with their cash register.) When I get back I'll be sure to post a map of where this place is. It's worth it just to see the cash register and chat to the happy couple. My desire to buy Japanese fabric is finally satisfied.

Once I get to a place with slightly faster computers I'll post some photos of my very exciting purchases... and taste sensations!

1 comment:

My Blog said...

Tokyo is indeed a crazy place and we have attempted to
navigate our way to a few things now and totally failed.